Individualised Dietary Guidance
Congratulations! You've made the decision to take charge of your health!
By having an Individual nutrition consultation, you will receive a thorough assessment of your medical history and current dietary intake, as well as your body composition (i.e. weight, body fat %, muscle mass, etc). An individualised eating plan will then be developed tailored to your specific needs.
First consultation (60 minutes)
The first consultation involves:
- Discussing your goals, your health, activity levels, and lifestyle and eating habits.
- Assessing medical history, current medications and vitamins
- Discussing family history of different conditions
- (Weight loss or gain clients) Assessing weight history, previous diets or eating plans
- (Weight loss or gain clients) Assessing weight and body composition (i.e. body fat %, muscle mass, body water %, etc).
- Discussing relevant blood tests that may be required. If blood tests are required, the dietitian will give you a blood test form with the appropriate tests marked.
First follow-up consultation (30 minutes)
- The first follow up takes place within 1 week of the initial consult
- You are provided with an individualized eating plan tailored to your lifestyle, health, weight, nutrition and health goals
- Vitamin and other supplementation advice will be given
Second and subsequent follow-up consultations (30 minutes)
Regular follow ups are extremely beneficial to assist you with staying on track. Follow ups are usually scheduled every 1 to 2 weeks and are the ideal opportunity to:
- Review your progress, provide ongoing support and monitoring
- Incorporate programme changes as needed
- Receive further guidance & motivation
- Clarify any questions or concerns that may have arisen.
- Review your goals and monitor your progress
- Establish new goals and achievements
- Discuss new ideas, questions or concerns, and to add/build new concepts, while providing continued support and motivation.
- Adjust the meal plan and review portion sizes.
- Eating out strategies and recommended food choices at restaurants and fast food restaurants.
- Strategies for staying motivated and overcoming challenges.
- Addressing of emotional eating.
- Theory regarding how different foods impact your medical health (for example how different foods impact your blood sugar, blood pressure, bone health, cancer risk, digestive health, cholesterol levels etc.)
- Sports nutrition advice (where applicable) on what to eat/drink before, during, & after exercise, as well as sport supplementation advice
- Vitamins, minerals, herbs, and dietary supplements - advice and recommendations.
- Meal planning strategies, grocery lists, quick food preparation tricks, and ideas for breakfast, lunch, suppers and snacks.
- Learn to read food labels and choose foods complement your goals.
- Recipe makeover - Adapting and adjusting your favorite recipes into healthy alternatives that suit your new eating plan.
Click here for more information on Individualised Dietary Guidance.