Can’t seem to look at the menu without looking at the dessert section? Have an uncontrollable sweet-tooth? Try these tips from Kezia first:
1. Begin with fruit
Fruit is naturally sweet. It’s also packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, but most importantly its low in fat.
· Fruit yoghurt / low fat vanilla yoghurt with fruit added
· Bananas baked in orange juice, cinnamon and a tsp of honey
· Poached pears
· Grilled fruit, especially nectarines, apricots and peaches. (Cut in half, remove the pip. Sprinkle with one tsp brown sugar and place under the grill until sugar has dissolved)
· BERRIES!!! A 1 and ¼ cup of berries can go a long way.
o Added to low fat yoghurt
o Pureed with a splash of orange juice and poured over low fat ice-cream
2. Eating dessert out tips
· Order a small portion. You only need a two to three mouthfuls to satisfy your sweet-tooth
· Share a dessert between two people
· Avoiding the biscuit base and only eating the filling
3. Low fat options
· Low fat vanilla ice-cream with a sprinkling of cinnamon
· Low-fat custard
· Low-fat, low sugar sorbet
· Low-fat frozen yoghurt
Lila Bruk is a registered dietician, nutritional consultant and freelance health journalist.
Click to set custom HTML